Icelandic sheep of Iowa

Monday, November 24, 2008

Giving Thanks


Its that time of year where we all look around us to see what we are thankful for. Here I am reminded daily of God's goodness. I was reminded of the fact that I am living my dream of having a family, owning a farm and raising animals. I didn't have anything specific in mind when I was a young girl, as to how many acres, or even what kind of animals I would own or even the number of children I would have. The journey to get to this place in life has been fun, though I doubt my husband would agree with me. Seems I get these *ideas* and he winds up either helping or taking over the job himself.

I give thanks daily to our Precious Lord for giving me life, and for Jesus giving up his life for me, all because he loved me.

I thank all my customers for helping us have one of the best years ever. They have bought eggs, chicken, lambs, breeding stock, and wool products. I pray for each and every one of them daily. Thank you.

I also want to thank the people who help make our little farm successful. Thank you Abi,High Prairie Fibers, for processing all our wool for us. Also for teaching me how to spin, and sparking that love of sheep again. Thank you.

Thank you Maggie for helping me sell my wool and yarn through your shop at Prairie Land Herbs. Thank you for the classes you hold at your shop. Without the classes I most likely will not be spinning, owning sheep, making my own soap, laundry powder or tooth paste. Thank you

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and may God bless you and your family during these holiday's.

3 Comments:

Blogger 8 Richmonds & 2 Corgis said...

Hi

I have seen your blog before. I always enjoy reading it. If you don't mind my asking, where in Iowa are you? I live in NE Iowa--about 40 miles east of Waterloo.

We live on an acreage with our 6 kids. We have 9 goats, (2 angoras, 2 pygmies, 2 boers, 1 boer/alpine cross, 1 nubian, and 1 nubian/boer cross)and 28 leghorn hens. I just learned how to spin with a drop spindle and I am totally nuts about it. I am hoping to have kids in the spring and start milking then.

My husband was a little hesitant to have angoras at first but now he has even decided that in the spirng we could try to get some sheep. Of course I have spent the last year reading up on Icelandic sheep and I have my heart set on getting a couple to start out with. When I get time I try to find Icelandic breeders in Iowa (in fact that's how I found your blog--by googling "Icelandic sheep in Iowa". Next spring I want to get some chickens for butchering and I think some turkeys too.

Do you sell your Icelandic sheep or lambs at all? I wanted to make a contact with you in case you would be interested in selling any sheep in the spring. I don't know if that is something you would do or have done but I thought I might as well ask or else forever wonder. I hope you aren't offended by this note, and I have no wish to interfere with your privacy. From what I can tell there aren't a whole lot of folks who raise Icelandics in Iowa which seems like such a shame--we have such a perfect climate for it.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbering. Thanks again for your great blog and great pictures, and I hope you and your family had a truly blessed Thanksgiving. I know we did! God Bless, Marie

November 30, 2008 at 10:19:00 AM PST  
Blogger sheeplady said...

We do sell our sheep, and we always seem to have something available. You can check out my website: hedgeapplefarm.net. thanks for reading! I often think no one ever sees my poor little blog

December 6, 2008 at 11:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments Lorraine! and yes we are reading your blog and loving the updates :)

February 1, 2009 at 11:07:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home