Icelandic sheep of Iowa

Monday, November 10, 2008

Chicken coop/ surgery/lambs


What a year this has been. I haven't posted in sooo long! The winter was long, cold and very icy this year. The result was a good amount of pain for me. It got so bad, I finally got up enough nerve to get a second opinion on my arthritis of the hips. Yep! The Dr. agreed I have arthtitis, and surgery or pain med's were my only option. The cane wasn't helping much, and I tried to use as little as possible. So I agreed to surgery, with the hopes I would get my life back. Here we are 5 months later, and yes, my life is back, but with quite a mess on my hands. I have been working with my children to get things back to a respectable level of chaos. First things was the chicken coop. We hung up the nesting box, created lots of room for the girls to roost, hung up their feeders, and are just about finished with insulated the coop with yucky wool and plastic. The poor coop is an old smith shop made out of tin. The tin has lots of holes punched out ( for nailing?) which doesn't stop the wind. After we are done with that, we will line the inside with wood to keep the chickens from pecking through the plastic.

As for our lambs! We were blessed with 13 ewe lambs and 5 ram lambs. Four of the ram lambs went to customers, and I kept one of the lambs for breeding stock. His mom is one of my best mothers, very milky, great mother, and a wonderful fleece plus to top it off, she also seems to be parisite resistant and has thrown that off to her offspring as well. Most the lambs were black as well. I have such a rainbow of colors outside! Such beauty. Hopefully I can get some pictures when I figure out where they are on this darn computer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home