Icelandic sheep of Iowa

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Shearing Time


We sheared our flock of Icelandics and Navajo Churro sheep this past Saturday. What a long day. I was very pleased with our shearer, he took his time, helped us clip their hooves, waited while we wormed the flock if needed and when we gave the crew their shots! I was pleased with how much fleece I was able to keep, only needing to throw out 5 fleeces. I was thinking that I would have 5 worthy to sell, thankfully that's not the case. We are in the process of letting the sheep eat our hay field, and giving them the 3rd cut of hay to flush them. Hopefully this will increase our twins and triplets next year... Here is one of my favorite fleeces! Matilda, what a name, but she is stunning! She happens to have my shearers favorite fleece, and he has seen tons more fleece than I have. My goal is to have all this fleece sold by Thanksgiving. If it isn't sold, then I'll send to Abi at High Prairie Fiber to process. She does a nice job, always have been thrilled with my roving when it comes back... I always have something to knit for someone here at home... My latest request is a pair of socks and a sweater for my 5th child. He says he gets cold when he camps with the boy scouts...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I recently joined NOAH so I saw your blog address thru a post you made with that group. I really like your blog. I am a brand new farmer - really just a pre-farmer. My goats are coming in the spring. I want milk goats and also some sheep for the wool - i knit too - pretty new at that too but like it. I hope to see you at the January NOAH meeting. Julie Donaghy

December 13, 2007 at 2:44:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home